[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Apr 19 09:10:30 EDT 2007

On 19/04/2007 13:21, Isaac Fried wrote:

> Peter,
>

> According to the opinion of the vast majority of biologists we were
> all, "Semites", "Aryans" etc., at one point (many many years ago)
> exactly as intelligent as an amoeba. By the universal law of
> continuity, one may argue, we were, at one time or another, at every
> stage in-between. ...

Actually, no. Genetics would suggest that changes are not continuous but
in steps. Amoebae have no legs, we have two, does that mean that we
evolved through having half a leg then one leg? No, it doesn't work like
that, at least I don't think so. Similarly it is genetically likely that
human intelligence developed in a series of distinct steps rather than
continuously, although the details must be speculative.

> I think you will agree with me that the phenomenon of Linguistics is
> curious: Here you have super-intelligent, high-powered,
> goodly-supported, vastly-educated, all-knowing, computer-toting,
> professors ponderously discussing a language originally developed by
> people who barely knew how to start a fire.

No, Isaac. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire humans and
their ancestors have controlled fire for something of the order of a
million years. No linguist would hope to reconstruct language further
back than 10,000 or possibly 20,000 years.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/