[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:21:11 EDT 2007

Peter,

According to the opinion of the vast majority of biologists we were
all, "Semites", "Aryans" etc., at one point (many many years ago)
exactly as intelligent as an amoeba. By the universal law of
continuity, one may argue, we were, at one time or another, at every
stage in-between. Some people credibly believe that man was created
complete, language and all, ready to make poetry. But even according
to the bible man was not as intellectually and emotionally astute
before he ate from the tree of knowledge as he was after the fact.

It did not occur to me to even raise a hint of a claim that
technologically "primitive" people are less intelligent than people
who heat their TV dinners in microwave ovens.

To my utter sorrow I am at a loss to know if the Neanderthals spoke
some sort of Proto-Semitic or some sort of Proto-Esperanto. It is
really not clear to me how Mr. Neanderthal conveyed to his wife his
deep wish to have his bear well done.

I think you will agree with me that the phenomenon of Linguistics is
curious: Here you have super-intelligent, high-powered, goodly-
supported, vastly-educated, all-knowing, computer-toting, professors
ponderously discussing a language originally developed by people who
barely knew how to start a fire.

Language, spontaneously developed, extended by consensus (no books,
no schools), must be inherently very very simple and systematic. This
should be the primary axiom of Linguistics, I think. The problem is
that people have a natural propensity to unwittingly spoil its
pristine beauty.

Isaac Fried, Boston University