[b-hebrew] Language, Culture or Both? was Nostratic

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Wed Apr 18 18:26:41 EDT 2007

Dear Yitzhak,

Thank you for the information on Nostratic.

I have questions based on what is found in the Bible (Genesis 10-11) First,
are the different groups, Indo-European (Japheth), Semitic (Shem), and
Afro-Hamite (Ham). There are areas of some assimilation of the Semitic with
the Hebrew spending 430 years in Goshen, Egpyt (Egyptian loanwords). The
Assyrian-Babylonian Captivities with the assimilation of Aramaic (the use of
Aramaic square script and several chapters of Daniel and Ezra in Aramaic
including the references in II Kings 18 that Hebrew was understood by
Rab-shakeh and Aramaic understood by the Hezekiah's representatives).
Finally, on a historical basis is that the Medeo-Persian Empire was the
first non-Semitic empire. If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, it
this fact of the Assyrian and Babylonian Empires being Semitic. So, when we
speak of Indo-European, Semitic and Afro-Hamite, are we speaking of culture,
language or both? What are the differences? What are the similarities?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III