[b-hebrew] Psalm 149:7 - Leningrad Codex Varient: Bal-Umim

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Wed Apr 18 13:53:58 EDT 2007

On 18/04/2007 00:34, Brak wrote:
> I have encountered ssomething interesting that I would like to share and
> hopefully figure out.
>
> In just about every Hebrew Bible I have has at the end of Psalm 149:7
> BAL:)UM.IYM
> but in the LC it has BAL-UM.IMYM

You appear to mean B.AL-)UM.IYM . It is important that the aleph has not
been dropped, and as the maqqeph (hyphen) is counted as a vowel point
there is no difference in the consonantal text.

> Now here are some things I found:
>
> L:UM.IMYM appears in the following places: ...

You mean L:)UM.IYM - it is important to be precise when we are looking
at details of pointing.

> Now this is interesting:
> HF)UM.IYM
> Psalms 117:1 - translated as "peoples"

According to BDB there is a word )UM.FH "tribe, people", with Arabic and
Akkadian cognates, found at Numbers 25:15, Psalm 117:1, Gen 25:16. This
is from the same root as )"M "mother", and the Arabic "umma" is well
known as a word for the Muslim community as a whole. There is also a
Hebrew word (AM or (FM "people", with separate Arabic, Syriac and
Akkadian cognates, with a root meaning more like "include". It seems to
me that these are separate words with separate histories, not confused
in ancient times when aleph and ayin were distinct consonants, although
confusing now to people who don't pronounce ayin distinctively.

There is also a word L:)OM "people", which is probably unrelated to
either of the above.

> So from Psalms 117:1 it would appear that the root )M is "people" - just
> like the word (M
> So could this be a case of alternate spellings? Kind of like how Isaac
> is spelled with sometimes a TSADI, other times a SIN?
>
> So would L:UM.IMYM be translated as "to peoples",  UM.IMYM as "peoples"
> and hense BAL-UM.IMYM as "nothing peoples".
>
> Any kind of input or ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I guess that B.AL-)UM.IYM "not peoples", which refers to Gentiles, may
well be a pejorative repointing of B.AL:)UM.IYM "in/among the peoples".
Probably the latter is more original, as LXX (EN TOIS LAOIS "in the
peoples", 43:15 and 149:7) tends to confirm.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/