[b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton

Jerry Shepherd jerry.shepherd at taylor-edu.ca
Tue Apr 17 19:09:44 EDT 2007

Sorry for the previous blank message -- I hit send and didn't mean to

The question I have, and I could look it up but I'm trying to find the answer more quickly than that, is this.  There are 40 some places in the Leningrad Codex where the tetragrammaton has the full vowel pointing for Adonai, i.e., there is a holem (e.g. Exod 13:9), in addition to the usual two vowels, shewa and qames.  Does anybody know off the top of their head the reason why the extra vowel comes into play in the 40 some places (out of the nearly 6000 occurrences)?  Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary