[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Apr 17 18:57:12 EDT 2007

On 17/04/2007 21:17, Harold Holmyard wrote:
> Isaac Fried wrote:

>> How do I know all this? If you come to think of it, it cannot be
>> otherwise.
>>

> HH: Of course it can be otherwise. The verbs could always have had
> suffixes and prefixes. Separate independent pronouns are used together
> with verbs with prefixes and suffixes sometimes.

On this one I am more or less with Isaac, on the general principle if
not the detail. It seems clear that in a wide variety of language
families including Semitic, personal endings of verbs etc (suffixes and
occasionally prefixes) are generally forms of the relevant personal
pronouns, which were initially separate and gradually became merged with
the roots, with phonological changes resulting from that. This merging
of roots and suffixes had probably already taken place in the earliest
reconstructable proto-forms of the language families I am familiar with:
Indo-European, Semitic and Turkic. Indeed the similarities between the
endings in these languages suggest that the merger may have taken place
even before these three families split (if indeed they did).
Nevertheless there are clear indications that such a process did take
place in the remote past.

See the following simplified chart.

Data for proto-Indo-European from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_language and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_pronouns_and_particles.
Data for Turkic from "Sravnitel'no-istoricheskaya grammatika tyurkskikh
yazykov - Morfologiya", Nauka, Moscow 1988, pp.204, 347.

                 1sg  2sg   3sg      1pl  2pl     3pl

Proto-Indo-European
  pronouns*       me   te   tom      nos  wos     tons
                            tem                   tehns
  verb suffixes  -mi  -si   -ti     -mes -the     -nti

Proto-Turkic
  pronouns       man- san-  in-      biz  siz
  verb suffixes  -man -syng -syghyn -lyq -synglar -syghynlar
                 -myn                    -synyz

Proto-Semitic
  pronouns
  verb suffixes

(I will leave others to fill in this last section.)

* PIE pronouns given in the accusative as nominatives are sometimes very
different.

It seems to me that there is enough commonality between all of these
lists to propose a common origin for all three sets of suffixes and all
three sets of pronouns.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostratic#Personal_pronouns which
I found after I wrote the above.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org