[b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Apr 17 09:43:13 EDT 2007

Harold,

Thank you greatly for your substantial, thoughtful and detailed
answer. It is good to know that at least we are in agreement that
KRANOT are 'horns' and XARASHIM are the craftsmen destined to sever
and cast them off. You might be right, except that if had I been the
master of visions I would have shown the prophet 4 beastly war
machines rather than 4 measly keratinous spikes salvaged from the
local abattoir.

It appears to me that TEXERAC of 2 Samuel 5:24 is 'sally forth', as
is the meaning of YEXERAC of Exodus 11:7, which KJV translates, so
gently, as 'move'. It seems to me that XARUC as in  Proverbs 10:4, is
a 'go-getter'. KJV translates it as 'diligent'.

It appears to me that YEXEREDU of Hosea 11:11 (YEXEREDU KeCIPOR
MIMICRAYIM) is also 'haste', possibly, I admit, after being jolted
into action by God's terrifying lion roar.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Apr 17, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Harold Holmyard wrote:

> Dear Isaac,
>>
>> It appears to me that the XARDU (XARCU) of 1 Samuel 13:7 is exactly
>> the same as the TEXERAC of 2 Samuel 5:24.
>>

> HH: Well, they're not the same as the spelling is different. This is
> what HAL (The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament) says
> about the latter:
>
> II XRC: Arb. hara/isa (with dots under "h" and "s") to covet, aspire,
> Tigrin. Leslau 22; Akk. hiris libbi (with a crescent [looks like a
> little smile] under the "h" and a dot under the "s") striving of the
> heart ? (MAOG 13/2:18; AHw. 341b).
> qal: impf.: to do something with enthusiasm, “pay attention!” 2 Sam
> 5:24.
>
> HH: Now, HAL treats this word as a different word than XRC I, which it
> lists as "fix, determine." However, the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew
> (DCH) treats all occurrences of the spelling as the same word, and
> sees
> the meaning in 2 Sam 5:24 as "take decisive action."
[cut]