[b-hebrew] Sholomo and Yedidyah

Yohanan bin-Dawidh yohanan.bin.dawidh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:04:59 EDT 2007

I have been reading theories at the ANE-2 discussion forum concerning the
etymology of the name Sholomo, and the following thoughts and questions came
to mind:

Sholomo and Yedidyah (Solomon's two names).

According to Sefer Shemu'el Bet 12:24, 25 it was Bath-sheva who referred to
Sholomo as Sholomo, whereas YHWH sent the prophet Nathan to name him
Yedidyah. But then every other occurrence of this figure we see him by then
name Sholomo, the name his mother named him, not the name that YHWH named
him. This may be more of a theological question than a question of language,
but does anyone have any thoughts as to why we see him referred to as
Sholomo rather than Yedidyah when the text clearly points out that it was
YHWH who named him Yedidyah?

And what I have been reading at ANE-2 about both Sholomo and Yerushalam is
quite interesting to say the least.