[b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Apr 15 13:53:14 EDT 2007

Shoshana,

The plural of 'horn' is invariably KARNAYIM. A genetically engineered
cow may have 3 KARNAYIM upon its head. If you go into to a store and
ask for 7 KARNAYIM you will get 7 singles. If they come in pairs you
will have to ask for 7 ZUGOT KARNAYIM and you will get a total of 17
(no I am kidding), 14, KARNAYIM. Say we look at a herd consisting of
three normal cows (I keep the number low so as not to encumber the
arithmetic beyond ten fingers) and you ask me how many KARNAYIM do I
see, my answer is 6. If alone I would just count the cows and
multiply by two, but with you I am afraid of a "trick question" and
so I actually count horns, lest a cow misses one. In fact, people
often use ZUG, 'pair', even for just two: YESH LO ZUG YADAYIM XAZAQOT
VeZUG RAGLAYIM BRYIOT. I have never heard, though, ZUG used for
SFATAYIM, 'lips'. The plural of SAFAH, 'language' is SAFOT, but the
plural of SAFAH, 'rim', is SFATOT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University