[b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Apr 15 11:43:50 EDT 2007

Ok, thank you - but does this mean that if someone is referring to
the horns of several animals, 10, let's say = 20 horns, they would
use the word kranot, or would it still be karnayim?  Sorry, I just
want to understand.

Shoshanna

Shoshana,

You are right but not entirely. The dual of KEREN, horn, is KARNAIM,
as nature willed it for the head of most animals. Yet, indeed, the
plural of KEREN in the sense of 'ray of light' is KARNAIM, the same
way that the 4 legs of a table are 4 RAGLAIM. You my have seen a
statue of an Indian goddess with 6 YADAIM, and some modern art
depicting a face with 3 EYNAIM. The plural of KEREN in the sense of
'principal' is KRANOT, (KARNOT in construct state), and so is the
plural of KEREN in the sense of 'corner'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Apr 14, 2007, at 9:42 PM, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

> I thought that Karnaim is plural for horns, and Kranot plural for
>rays of light

[cut]