[b-hebrew] What language?

particle wave particle.wave at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 17:59:42 EDT 2007

On 4/14/07, Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] This reminds of the perversions of Yiddish and Ladino that my people speak,
> which are dialects of Hebrew mixed with other languages. [...]

Actually, Yiddish is rooted in Middle High German, not Hebrew. It's
written in Hebrew script (I presume because it was the script that the
largest number of people in the community knew though that's purely
conjecture as I've not actually done any research on it) and has a lot
of Hebrew in it but is essentially a form of German. The Yiddish of
people from Eastern Europe also has a lot of Slavic words added in. I
can't make any claims on Ladino as I don't have any detailed knowledge
of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish

     -Amir