[b-hebrew] What language?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 14 15:45:17 EDT 2007

Yohanan bin-Dawidh wrote:
> Shoshanna,
>
> I would agree with Gary here, except for the idea that it was the lingua
> franca of the day, for outside of the NT there is no evidence of such per
> se. Actually, most honest Greek speakers would tell you that Koine is trash
> talk, gutter language, i.e. not good Greek, and the reason why is that it is
> as if a bunch of people who did not speak Greek took a dictionary, and tried
> to translate from their language into Greek without knowing the language to
> which were translating.

HH: You should have stuck with simply agreeing with Gary. Here's some
information about Koine Greek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine_Greek

Koine Greek (Κοινὴ Ἑλληνική, "common Greek", or ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος, "the
common dialect") is the popular form of Greek that emerged in
post-classical antiquity (c.300 BC – AD 300), and marks the third period
in the history of the Greek language. Other names are Alexandrian,
Hellenistic, Common, or New Testament Greek. Koine Greek is important
not only to the history of the Greeks for being their first common
dialect and main ancestor of Demotic Greek, but it is also significant
for its impact on Western Civilization as a lingua franca for the
Mediterranean. Koine also was the original language of the New Testament
of the Christian Bible as well as the medium for the teaching and
spreading of Christianity. Koine Greek was unofficially a first or
second language in the Roman Empire.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard