[b-hebrew] New or Renewed in Jeremiah 31:31?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 15:44:00 EDT 2007

Dear David,
> To speak simply, the xian idea of a renewing of the mind or being born
> again is the same idea. The mind is not really new and a person is not
> actually reborn and yet they are renewed in both instances.

HH: First, we are getting away from Hebrew into Greek, and from OT to
NT. But you are really making my point about Jeremiah 31:31-33 for me
because the NT does not call it a "renewed birth" but a "new birth":

1Pet. 1:3  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In
his great mercy he has given us NEW BIRTH into a living hope through the
resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

A "renewed birth" would imply that the same physical birth we
experienced long ago was occurring again. But the NT is talking about a
different kind of birth, a spiritual birth. So it calls it a new birth,
not a renewed birth. Similarly, Jeremiah is not talking about renewing
the Mosaic covenant but of making a different kind of covenant. So he
properly designates it a "new covenant." I have some other points to
make about your comment, but I will address them to you off-list since
they are somewhat unrelated to the Hebrew Bible. The list should be
aware that you are somewhat improperly characterizing the Christian view
on the topics you raise, though there is a modicum of truth in what you say.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard