[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Apr 13 11:55:48 EDT 2007

On 13/04/2007 15:43, davidfentonism at aim.com wrote:
> Hello Peter:
>
> I must disagree that the word plays work outside of Hebrew (whatever
> version) and I have been explicity been shown why not which is an
> explanation beyond my ability to reproduce here except descriptively
> as I have prior. Even in the Aramaic it is not the same. You can view
> the Peshitta online (http://www.standardversion.org/index-aesv.php).

I can't speak for Aramaic, but I know that Arabic has all the following
words, not sure of all the spellings:

آدم 'âdam = "human being"; "Adam"
آدمة 'âdama(t) = not "ground" but "skin"

حوّا ḥawwâ = "Eve"
حىّ ḥyy = "live"

انسان 'insân = "man"
ناس nâs = "people"
انثى unthay (?) = "woman"

So almost the same word plays work. This implies that they are common at
least to West Semitic, although perhaps 'adama has not survived in all
languages.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/