[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

davidfentonism at aim.com davidfentonism at aim.com
Fri Apr 13 01:14:03 EDT 2007

 Harold, if only the lexicon also provided not just language but context: language, culture, geography and history. But, the passage itself does that.

 The New Covenant has never been a significant feature of Jewish eschatology, other than the belief that eventually all Jews will know and follow the Torah without the need to study (Jer 31:32-33). For example, the article Jewish Encyclopedia: New Testament [1] states: "The idea of the new covenant is based chiefly upon Jer. xxxi. 31-34 (comp. Heb. viii. 6-13, x. 16). That the prophet's words do not imply an abrogation of the Law is evidenced by his emphatic declaration of the immutability of the covenant with Israel (Jer 31:35-36; comp. 33:25[2]); he obviously looked for a renewal of the Law through a regeneration of the hearts of the people.

 [1] http://jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=245&letter=N&search=New%20Testament#717
 [2] http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1133.htm#25
 [3] COVENANT, THE NEW

 (berith chadhashah, Jeremiah 31:31; he diatheke kaine, Hebrews 8:8,13, etc., or nea, Hebrews 12:24:

 the former Greek adjective has the sense of the "new" primari1y in reference to quality, the latter the sense of "young," the "new," primarily in reference to time).
 Gal. 27-29: For as many as have had a tevilah into Moshiach have clothed yourselves with Moshiach. There is not Yehudi nor Yevani (Greek), there is not eved (servant) nor ben chorin (freedman), there is not zachar (male) nor nekevah (female), for you are all echad in Moshiach Yehoshua/Yeshua. And, if you belong to Moshiach (YESHAYAH 53:10), then you are of the ZERAH of Avraham Avinu, you are yoreshim (heirs) according to the havtachah (promise).