[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

davidfentonism at aim.com davidfentonism at aim.com
Fri Apr 13 01:08:33 EDT 2007

Shalom, Harold:

 Torah means revelation or instruction or teaching or schoolmaster. "Law" is inadequate as a definition. In an expanded sense, all of Scripture is Torah beyond just the first five books of Moses. Torah encompasses the Mosaic Law, too. As you noted that Avraham obeyed Y- - H's instruction, then you see that emunah is something one does and not merely makes mental assent to as Constantinians are wont to believe and teach. Righteousness (or tsedakah) is something one does as Hashem does tsedakah to the good and the wicked (i.e., tsedakh is imitating Hashem in doing for others as Hashem does for us and others). The Hebrews, Israelites, and Jews were not free to limit themselves to reflection of Torah but they had to do Torah or live Torah. Living Torah always was and remains the idea.

 We know the one language (Beresheis 2:19) was Hebrew because Adam's very name derives from Hebrew (adamah); the 2 names he gave to Eve (Chava comes from chai/life) were Hebrew and only makes sense in Hebrew. He also called her isha (woman) because she was taken from the ish (man). (See Beresheis 2:23, 3:20 and Midrash Beresheis Rabbah 38).

 While I agree we all have eternity written on our hearts, I specifically refer to the fact that after Adam dropped the ball that it was not until Mt. Sinai that a nation agreed to do Torah before knowing what living Torah entailed. Avraham lived Torah because the very aleph bet he spoke declare Hashem; Torah is within them.

 I'm trying my best to explain in as non-theological a fashion as I can muster so you will excuse me if I don't always manage it as well as I try to.

 Regards,
 David Fenton