[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Apr 12 17:42:57 EDT 2007

On 12/04/2007 21:03, michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Lisbeth,
>
> I know that the Qatal commonly refers to the past
> but do you acknowledge any acceptions to that?
> Such as when the verb refers to a continuing state.
> Gen 4:9.
>   9 וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל־קַיִן אֵי הֶבֶל אָחִיךָ וַיֹּאמֶר לֹא יָדַעְתִּי
> הֲשֹׁמֵר אָחִי אָנֹכִי׃
> And the LORD said unto Cain: 'Where is Abel thy brother?' And he said: 'I
> KNOW not; am I my brother's keeper?'

It is common in several languages to use the past tense of a verb for
"know" with present meaning, meaning more like "have come to know".

> Gen 32:11
>
> קָטֹנְתִּי מִ‍כֹּל הַחֲסָדִים
>
> I am too little for all the mercies. . .

"Stative" verbs like this are well known to be exceptions to the normal
verb form rules. Perhaps YD` could be understood as partially stative.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/