[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 17:25:26 EDT 2007

Well said, Michael.

  It is good to keep in mind that the ancient writers were not grammarians,
  and didn't know what grammar was. They used the language as was
  the custom in their time. Also, they made occasional mistakes, as did the
  editors and those who transmitted the texts long before the masoretes.

  Uri

  Michael Abernathgy wrote:

  I know that the Qatal commonly refers to the past
but do you acknowledge any acceptions to that?
Such as when the verb refers to a continuing state.
Gen 4:9.
  9 וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל־קַיִן אֵי הֶבֶל אָחִיךָ וַיֹּאמֶר לֹא יָדַעְתִּי
הֲשֹׁמֵר אָחִי אָנֹכִי׃
And the LORD said unto Cain: 'Where is Abel thy brother?' And he said: 'I
KNOW not; am I my brother's keeper?'

Gen 32:11

קָטֹנְתִּי מִ‍כֹּל הַחֲסָדִים

I am too little for all the mercies. . .

How do you interpret Isaiah 5:13 as a prediction of future captivity or
something said after the captivity has begun?

13 לָכֵן גָּלָה עַמִּי מִ‍בְּלִי־דָעַת וּכְבוֹדוֹ מְתֵי רָעָב וַהֲמוֹנוֹ
צִחֵה צָמָא׃

Isa 5:13 Therefore My people are gone into captivity, for want of knowledge;
and

their honourable men are famished, and their multitude are parched with
thirst

Sincerely

Michael Abernathy