[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 17:22:11 EDT 2007

Isaac Fried wrote:

> It appears to me that YASHAN, 'old' is but a variant of YESHNO,
> 'exists'. Finding a "contrast" to this is not an easy matter, but in
> view of the apparent affinity of the roots GD$, XD$ and QD$, it seems
> that XADASH existentially means 'added'.

HH: Isaac, YESHNO is not an independent word but is YESH with a suffix.
Y$N is a triliteral root that also means "old" in Ugaritic. The roots
GD$ and QD$ have no certifiable connection with XD$ in meaning. YASHAN
means old and XADA$ means new.  Renew is a possible meaning for the verb
XD$, so the idea of the adjective meaning "renewed" is not outside the
realm of possibility. But it evidently does not mean that in Jer
31:31-33, where the context indicates otherwise. And in fact OT usage
does not really confirm the meaning of "renewed" for the adjective so
far as I have seen.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard