[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Apr 12 10:59:36 EDT 2007

On 12/04/2007 15:20, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
> Dear Peter,
> I understand that is your contention, and Rolf's. I am still waiting for a
> sentence with a Yiqtol in it that I would agree would make no sense that
> way. I allowed for the future to begin the moment the pen is lifted from the
> paper of the composer.
> Liz Fried

Liz (and Isaac), this contention is not mine or Rolf's but goes back to
Gesenius. or at least GKC. He wrote (section 107b-i) that "the imperfect
[our YIQTOL] serves - 1. In the sphere of /past time/: (a) To express
actions, &c., which /continued/ throughout a longer or shorter period
... (b) To express actions, &c., which were /repeated/ in the past,
either at fixed intervals or occasionally ... 2. In the sphere of
/present time/, again (a) To express actions, &c., which are /continued/
for a longer or shorter time ... (b) To express actions, &c., which may
be /repeated/ at any time, including therefore the present, or are
/customarily/ repeated on a given occasion ... (c) To express actions,
&c., which although, strictly speaking, they are already finished, are
regarded as still lasting on into the present time, or continuing to
operate in it ... 3. In the sphere of /future time/ ..." GKC gives many
examples of each of these categories, starting with ya`aleh in Genesis
2:6, clearly not future to any composer!

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/