[b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Apr 12 06:02:57 EDT 2007

On 12/04/2007 01:16, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
> Oh, I don't insist on anything but that verbs in Yiqtal be translated by the
> English future (and verbs in Qatal by English past tense), that's all I
> insist on. ...

Yes, but my main point is that this is not necessarily appropriate.
Rather often in biblical Hebrew YIQTOL does not have a future meaning,
but a past or present continuous one. Or at least that is my
understanding of the Hebrew verb system, although of course it is
controversial. The problem comes when YIQTOL in biblical Hebrew is read
as if it were the future tense in modern Hebrew.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/