[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 23:03:43 EDT 2007

Dear David,
> That's a fair guess, Harold. However, I think it omits the Great Flood
> and the reasons which preceded it.

HH: Well, you're giving a different meaning to Torah than I'm giving.
I'm using the word as a synonym for the Mosaic law. If you are using it
to speak of God's instruction or law in general, then I agree with you
that it preexisted the Mosaic law.
> Moreover, it also omits the fact that Avraham's emunah (i.e. tsedakah
> aligned with Torah as the charter of creation) made him upright in
> Hashem's eyes.

Hh: Right. He obeyed the Lord's instruction:

Gen. 18:19 No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children
and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing
righteousness and justice; so that the LORD may bring about for Abraham
what he has promised him."
> Specifically, we know the nations had Torah because until the Babel
> event they were all of one (Hebrew) language and one speech.

HH: We don't know that the one language was Hebrew, and it is really
going beyond the evidence to assume that it was.

> If they spoke Hebrew they had Torah because each and every letter
> declares both Hashem and Torah.

HH: We don't know that they spoke Hebrew, but all the world has the law
of God written on its heart. And all people reject that law of God
written on their heart. So we are all sinners. If that is what you mean
by all nations rejecting God's Torah, then I am in agreement with you.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard