[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Gary Hedrick garyh at cjfm.org
Wed Apr 11 21:36:11 EDT 2007

	This nuance of meaning ("new" vs. "renewed") sounded interesting, so
I looked it up in Jer. 31:31 and it's berit chadashah--"new covenant."  The
Berit HaChadashah (the Heb. NT) has the same wording in Heb. 12:24.  So
where does "renewed" come from?  The Hebrew word for "renewed" is
Mechudeshet, not Chadashah.
	We have learned from experience that very often, a forced
translation like this is driven by some sort of ideological agenda.  Is that
true here?

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA