[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 15:59:08 EDT 2007

Dear David,
> * While I agree with your sentiment, Harold, Shoshana apparently
> understanding Torah is obligated to reject any notion that the Mosaic
> or any covenant has been replaced. Torah says so itself. The Christian
> Scholars Group on Christian-Jewish Relations
> (http://www.bc.edu/research/cjl/meta-elements/sites/partners/csg/Sacred_Obligation.htm)
> might be of help. Shoshana's theology is entirely correct here.
> *

HH: Where does the Torah say this? I went to this website you
recommended and found the following:

1. God's covenant with the Jewish people endures forever.

For centuries Christians claimed that their covenant with God replaced
or superseded the Jewish covenant. We renounce this claim. We believe
that God does not revoke divine promises. We affirm that God is in
covenant with both Jews and Christians. Tragically, the entrenched
theology of supersessionism continues to influence Christian faith,
worship, and practice, even though it has been repudiated by many
Christian denominations and many Christians no longer accept it. Our
recognition of the abiding validity of Judaism has implications for all
aspects of Christian life.

HH:  I never said that God did not have a covenant with Israel but at
the start affirmed that the Abrahamic covenant was not abrogated.
Secondly the Mosaic covenant is a separate covenant from the Abrahamic
covenant, and the NT very clearly teaches that the New Covenant takes
the place of the Mosaic covenant for Christians. Jeremiah 31:31-33
teaches that even for Israel a new covenant will replace the old
covenant, and the context shows that the old covenant is the Mosaic
covenant.
*
*Yours,
Harold Holmyard*