[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 14:17:33 EDT 2007

Dear Yohanan,

You need to watch how you address your posts. They are not going to
b-hebrew. You have to put b-hebrew's address in the "To:" box as a
deliberate action.

> * I think this [Jer 31:31-33] clearly states that all this so-called
> new covenant is, is that our Husband, our Master, the Holy One of
> Yisra'el will write into our hearts His Torah! *

HH: First, his law here may be his eternal moral law rather than exactly
the Mosaic law. But they are close enough that God does not need to make
a distinction.

> *And by doing so we will no longer have to teach one another say,
> "Know YHWH" for all of B'nai Yisra'el will know YHWH. *

HH: And how's that going to happen, and why didn't God do it earlier?
The text in Jeremiah 31 does not fully explain these things.

> *It is this simple, and the illusions of Jesus do not play into its
> simplicity. *

HH: You may think Jer 31:31-33 is simple, but it is miraculous that God
could do this, and the text does not explain how he does it. So you are
arguing from silence, which is almost always an invalid argument. It may
be that God uses the Messiah to do this.

> *You may see otherwise, but if you do then you are going beyond the
> peshat of the text, and seeing something that is not there, for
> anything that denies the plain meaning of a text is fallacy.*

HH: Nobody says that the text mentions Jesus here. However, Jeremiah
several times mentions the Messiah, so the Messiah might conceivably be
involved, even from Jeremiah's perspective:

Jer. 23:5  “The days are coming,” declares the LORD,  “when I will raise
up to David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what
is just and right in the land.

Jer. 33:15 “‘In those days and at that time I will make a righteous
Branch sprout from David’s line; he will do what is just and right in
the land.

Jeremiah in these messianic texts is speaking of the same time of
glorious fulfillment for Israel that the Jeremiah 31 text is talking about.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard