[b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Wed Apr 11 06:56:18 EDT 2007

On 11/04/2007 03:09, Harold Holmyard wrote:

> Is. 56:6-7 And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him,
> to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the
> Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant — these
> I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of
> prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my
> altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.”

It is interesting that you and Shoshanna agree on the futurity of this
passage, at least relative to Isaiah - although I suppose that you take
it as fulfilled in Christ although Shoshanna as still future. But the
verb forms here (in fact right through vv.4-8) are WEQATAL and YIQTOL.
And there is nothing in the context to show clearly that this passage is
future rather than timeless present, a general principle that such
people, gentiles who come to YHWH, are at all times accepted in his
house. It is certainly stretching the exegesis to insist that this
principle applies only in the future and not already in Isaiah's time.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/