[b-hebrew] translations of important quotes using Rolf's ideas

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Apr 10 05:03:42 EDT 2007

Dear Peter,

My personal viewpoints regarding prophecies are linguistically irrelevant.
However, my observations are that some persons believe that real prophecies
can be uttered before the events come, and others believe that accurate
predictions before the events materialize are impossible. This last view was
the original reason for the hypothesis that the book of Isaiah has several
authors.

In my work with the Hebrew text I use the following assumption proposed by
P. H. Grice in "Logic and Conversation". In "Syntax and Semantics: Speech
Acts," edited by P. Cole and J. Morgan: -Because the hearer assumes that the
speaker is being cooperative, he assumes that the speaker will only say
things that she believes to be relevant, informative, and true in that
context.- This can be applied to texts as well. The are of course cryptic
and figurative language where Grice´s assumption is not valid.

The point is that when a prophet spoke words which is his mind referred to
the future, the reference of the verbs he used would be future. When a
prophet who had seen some events wanted to write about these for an
audience, and he would place his words in a prophetic setting, either to
deceive his audience, or because he believed this was legitimate, he would
still use verbs with future reference (there are examples of this in the
Ethiopic Enoch). In other words, the prophet would choose his verbs as if he
lived before the event. In this prophetic context only verbs with future
reference would be "relevant, informative and true".

In my dissertation work I did an extensive linguistic research on verbs used
in prophetic settings, and the interesting picture that emerged was that if
the four-component model is followed strictly by the translators of
prophecies, the result is often a zig-zag text as far as time is concerned,
where past tense, present, present completed, and future tense are used, and
the readers are completely confused as to the real time reference. Jeremiah
50 and 51 are examples of this.