[b-hebrew] translations of important quotes using Rolf's ideas

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Apr 9 13:24:13 EDT 2007

Dear Liz,

Linguistic theory should be the driving force behind translation. While all
translators are influenced by their philosophies, religious views or lack of
such, conscious efforts should be exercised to curtail these influences when
translation work is done. In order to translate a text from one of the
prophets, I ask: Is this a prophecy about the future? This is not a
theological but a translational (linguistic) question. As for Isaiah, the
question is indifferent to the issue whether some of Isaiah´s words are
prophecies ex eventu (spoken after the event). The answer sought is whether
the writer wanted to apply the words to the future (if he wrote them after
the event, he formed them as if they were written before the event). Thus,
the time of writing is irrelevant for the answer.

A translator has the duty to consider the context, and when my judgement is
that the particular text with which I am working, is a prophecy, I treat the
whole text as such (parts of the chapter may of course refere to the past).
I would claim that this was the reason why I translated Isaiah 53 as I did;
my understanding of the context is that this text is a prophecy, and
therefore the reference is future (and prophetic perfect  does not exist);
the question about a possible fulfillment is only secondary.

Perhaps you would like to translate a more "neutral" text, namely Jeremiah
50 and 51. My understanding of the context is that this is a prophecy about
the fall of Babel (whether it was written before or after the fall is
linguistically irrelevant). If you also view the text as a prophecy, working
with this text may be interesting for you. In these 104 verses there are 84
YIQTOLs, 2 WEYIQTOLs, 56 WEQATALs, 106 QATALs and 8 WAYYIQTOLs. Of the
QATALs I interpret 14 as having past reference, 21 as having present
completed reference, 3 as having future completed reference, and 57 QATALs
and 6 WAYYIQTOLs as having future reference. If you just use the traditional
rules for temporal reference, you will get a strange prophetic text. Several
modern translations abandon the "rules" in some of these verses. For
example, the NET Bible translates all 6 QATALs in 51:30 with English future.