[b-hebrew] translations of important quotes using Rolf's ideas

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Apr 9 12:59:56 EDT 2007

On 09/04/2007 17:41, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
>> Your translation in fact looks quite similar in its English verb forms
>> to the scholarly translation NRSV, and indeed to the traditional KJV.
>> That is not to say that these translators did not have presuppositions,
>> but perhaps that they did not allow those presuppositions to control
>> their translation, and still less to control their understanding of the
>> Hebrew verb system.
>>
> That is as it should be, it seems to me.

Indeed.

> As for 40:1, I don't see a Qatal. Do you mean another verse?

Sorry, I meant 40:2.

Perhaps a better example of QATAL from a future deictic viewpoint in
Isaiah (but not Deutero-) is 8:23-9:1 (English 9:1-2), where the QATAL
is explicitly about future events as indicated by HA'AXARON. Or do you
take this as past as well?

Of course if you try to claim that all prophecies are in fact past you
will find people accusing you of presupposing that there is no genuine
predictive prophecy (and even that the prophets made no attempt to
predict the future) and allowing this presupposition to control your
exegesis and your understanding of the Hebrew verb system.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/