[b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 7 05:31:34 EDT 2007

I should also add that I understand what you were trying to do with
referring to Nordlander -- to demonstrate that other linguists operate
with the same methodology as you in making a scrupulous distinction
between semantics and pragmatics and understanding that there is such a
thing as uncancellable meaning.

However, I find it quite telling that the example you raise --
Nordlander's analysis of English "have" -- to demonstrate that you are
not alone in operating with the linguistic methodology you do is in fact
an extremely questionable analysis. So another linguist who operates
with the same methodology produces questionable results. To me this
points to the possibility that the methodological foundations -- that
is, the position that there is such a thing as uncancellable meaning --
is itself questionable.

Regards,
David Kummerow.