[b-hebrew] dying you will die

Scott McAliley scottanderin1 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:24:23 EDT 2007

David,
    I appreciate your response, and the quote.   I have heard this
explanation of “in the day” before, and I think it is a good one.  And it
may be all that was intended by what God said.  But I don’t think we can
escape the fact that they were also banned from the one tree which God said
would give them eternal life, were they to eat from it.  And if you lose
access to life, you either gain death, or maintain your course with it(as I
have proposed).  And as far as we know, the banishment happened in the same
24 hour day.  So perhaps both were intended.  It wouldn’t be the last time
in scripture where there would be dual meanings.  Either way, I think either
one or both of these are very acceptable explanations, and I am confused as
to why the verse causes a conflict in believing that God does what he says
he will do.

Scott McAliley

David had written:
Dear Scott,

My commentary here is indirectly related to your inquiry and you may or may
not consider it as you evaluate the more specific replies to your query.
Anton Chekov wrote, “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he
does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and
understand nothing.” I contend Chekov's quote is analogous to the
"experts" you allude to. At any rate, I will await the responses you seek
with interest but in the mean time let me suggest that a day is 1000 years
for Hashem and 1000 years is a day. Thus, Adam & Hawaah (Eve) did die within
a "day" as neither reached 100 years of life. Neither do we know at what age
Hashem created them.

I hope you don't mind the slightly off-target remark too much.

Shalom,
David Fenton