[b-hebrew] Deconstructionism

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:20:21 EDT 2007

Dear David,

In your original use of the word "desconstructionists," it was used in
the following sentence: "I am not making an argument for the inerrancy
of the TN'K here but the unbridgeable difference between the interpretive
lenses of those who accept the inerrancy of the TN'K as originally
scripted and those deconstructionists who work from their own
preconceived notions."  As such, it places deconstructionists in
opposition to those who hold by biblical inerrancy.  This is not
deconstructionism.  While you have quoted a dictionary definition,
this definition is a very succinct summary of the entire method and in
fact does not do much to explain what it really is.  So, here are
examples of deconstruction of some biblical texts:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/bibs/DJACcurrres/Postmodern1/Ethics.html
http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/Articles/article_66.pdf

I suggest you read them, and then ask yourself how really are
the deconstructionists opposed to inerrancy?  In reality, it seems that
you have used deconstructionism as a label, emptying it of what it
really means.

Yitzhak Sapir