[b-hebrew] qtl of HYH

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 4 00:59:30 EDT 2007

George,

I am rather inclined to think that most Hebraists would agree with me
that HYH and XYH both mean 'exist'. The bifurcation into twin roots,
one used for animate existence the other for inanimate existence, is
accomplished here by the common device of a HE-XET shift. Indeed, it
does not make one bit of a difference if one reads Esther 2:5 as:
"ish yhudi HAYAH bshushan habirah" or "ish yhudi XAYAH bshushan
habirah".

Surely Hebrew can not have a root that inherently describes such an
awesomely rich and mysterious phenomenon as 'life' or 'be alive'.
Like English it must rely on a metaphor derived from some obvious
manifestation of it. There is agreement among English etymologists
that 'life' is derived from German 'Leib', English 'to have a lifted-
up body, to be elevated'. The Hebrew etymology seems to be likewise:
XYH-XVH-HVA-GBH, 'to be elevated, to be extensive'. Eventually they
are all, as expected, related to XUB, 'heart, bosom' of Job 31:33,
and then, by common literal shifts, to GUF, 'body'. It so also with
QAYAM, 'exists', and QAM, 'rose, assumed an upright or standing
position'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University