[b-hebrew] qtl of HYH

George Athas george.athas at moore.edu.au
Sun Apr 1 23:04:56 EDT 2007

Isaac Fried wrote:

> ...it would be good to recall that HYH is but a variant
> of XYH, with great affinity also to HWH and XWH.

Isaac, with respect, this is not the understanding of the vast majority of
Hebraists. The similarity in the roots may account for the odd textual
variant, but as far as I know there appears to be no evidence for any
conceptual or etymological connection between HYH and XYH. Granted, they are
similar. But I think that is where the connection ends.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
1 King St, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia