[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Sep 30 05:36:22 EDT 2006

On 30/09/2006 08:49, Vadim Cherny wrote:
> To ask, as Peter does, for the proof that the word cannot mean "pierced," is
> illogical. Negative proof could never be formally asserted. ...

True, and in fact that was my point, it cannot be proved. But it was not
illogical to ask. Moshe had made an unqualified statement "none of the
variants can correctly translated as 'pierced.'" and I was asking him
for proof of his statement - while being well aware that none could be
forthcoming. I don't think that people should make unqualified
statements of this kind unless they are prepared to back them up with
proof, or at least rather good evidence. This is all the more true when
such proof is in principle impossible.

> ... We can only say
> that nowhere else the word means "pierced."

True. But that by no means implies that the word doesn't mean "pierced"
here. There are many cases in the Hebrew Bible of words being used in
unique senses.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/