[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Sep 29 06:10:20 EDT 2006

On 29/09/2006 01:22, Moshe Shulman wrote:
> At 06:38 PM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
>
>> On 28/09/2006 23:11, Moshe Shulman wrote:

>>> Harold, words mean something. KRU cannot be distorted to mean
>>> pierced, when it means to dig (a hole). A truck is not a
>>> wheelbarrow even though both have four wheels.
>>>

>> Can you give evidence from biblical Hebrew of:
>> 1) The sizes of hole,
>> 2) The kinds of material in which the hole is made,
>> 3) The kinds of instrument used for making the hole
>>

> No, nor are they really relevant (as I am sure you know.)

No, I don't know. I want to know on what basis you assert so confidently
that this KR verb (whatever the exact form) cannot be used of making
holes through hands and feet with a sharp implement. Is it because the
word cannot be used of holes this small? Is it because the word is only
used of holes in the ground? Is it because it is only used of holes made
by blunt or spade-like instruments?

The textual issue is a separate one which I don't want to go into. The
point here is that there is a well attested Hebrew verb KRH usually
translated "dig". Is it possible that this word, or a variant form of
it, is being used in Psalm 22:16. This seems to have been the LXX
translators' understanding. Do you have any grounds, other than the
textual uncertainty, to assert that they were wrong? If I were to
reconstruct the original text, very tentatively of course, with KRW,
would it be unreasonable of me to translate that reconstruction as "they
made holes in my hands and feet"?

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/