[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Sep 28 21:34:33 EDT 2006

Dear Moshe,

> 1. As to the LXX/GB I understand what you say, the verse has it's
> difficulties. I am curious as to what other meaning you say that
> ORUSSW can mean? I will check it out with someone who is an expert in the area.
> 2. As to the variants there are two issues. First variants in many
> cases just represent errors in copying. All of us who have been
> teachers of Hebrew are quite aware of the 'variants' that can occur.
> Second, which of these variants are you claiming gets you closer to
> 'pierced'. There are none that I know of which help in this area.
> (KARY, KARU, KRU, KRY)

HH: The HAL Lexicon says that "hollow out" is a
meaning for KRH, and certainly a meaning like
"hollow out" seems relevant for Ps 40:7, where the
subject is God creating the ear. The Dictionary of
Classical Hebrew suggests that pierce might be the
sense in Ps 22:17. To hollow out is similar to
bore, which is similar to pierce.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard