[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Sep 28 21:24:53 EDT 2006

Dear Moshe,

> 1. As to the LXX/GB I understand what you say, the verse has it's
> difficulties. I am curious as to what other meaning you say that
> ORUSSW can mean? I will check it out with someone who is an expert in the area.
> 2. As to the variants there are two issues. First variants in many
> cases just represent errors in copying. All of us who have been
> teachers of Hebrew are quite aware of the 'variants' that can occur.
> Second, which of these variants are you claiming gets you closer to
> 'pierced'. There are none that I know of which help in this area.
> (KARY, KARU, KRU, KRY)

HH: The LXX translator evidently understood that
the word was KRW. ORUSSW means "dig," and it
translates KRH in other places (Ps 57:6; Gen
26:25). But ORUSSW (and so KRH) evidently are
capable of having a meaning like "out a hole in
something," since that is the meaning at Ps 40:6
for ORUSSW. ORUSSW can have the meaning "dig
through" or "make a canal through" or "burrow."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard