[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Sep 28 17:01:03 EDT 2006

Dear Moshe,

>> Vadim Cherny wrote:
>>> dkr in Zech12:10 undoubtedly refers to thrusting with sword. Always took
>>> that for granted. The nations that cut him [Israel] (came against
>> Jerusalem)
>>> will repent.
>>> I'm less familiar with the Christian issues, but I frankly don't
>> see how you
>>> could read ca-ari in Ps22:17 as "pierced."
>>> As a lion [they have encompassed (transposition from the earlier
>> phrase)] my
>>> hands and feet.
>> HH: There are variant textual readings, and it is
>> those variants that people are reading as "pierced."
>

> Harold, none of the variants can correctly translated as 'pierced.'
> The word in Hebrew and Greek means to dig (as in digging a hole).

HH: A nail would dig a hole in your hands and
feet, but "pierced" is more idiomatic English. The
Old Greek translation of the Tanakh has the verb
ORUSSW here (LXX Ps. 21:17), which means dig. It
also has it at Ps 40:6, of God digging, or
opening, the ear in creating a human being. So
while the literal translation would be dig, the
concept in English might be rendered as pierced.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard