[b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity, response to Peter and Karl

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Wed Sep 27 15:26:51 EDT 2006

On 27/09/2006 17:42, Chris and Nel wrote:
> Peter and Karl
>
> That is my point: "Arbitrary" - I don't really like that.  Arbitrary in this
> instance can also be a replacement for "we have not found the reason"?  For
> example, when the numbers 3 t/m 10 take the masc and fem endings back to
> front when modifying their counterparts?  Is this arbitrary? Or do we assume
> that there is a jolly good reason lost to us for the present?
>
> Secondly there are patterns for nouns apparently without "natural
> gender", such as: Earth and nations, parts of the body, a lot of abstracts;
> I could go on with examples but I am sure that you know them.

Yes, there are some patterns, but that does not imply that everything
fits such a pattern.

Your attitude reminds me of that of Einstein, who insisted that "God
does not play dice" and so the results of quantum mechanics could not be
arbitrary. But he was wrong, as Stephen Hawking has demonstrated - see
http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/dice.html (and
http://speakertruth.blogspot.com/2006/09/dawkins-is-wrong-scientist-can-believe.html).

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/