[b-hebrew] the Feast of Trumpets

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Sep 26 02:14:17 EDT 2006

Shoshana, please do not put words in my mouth. If you had bothered to check,
you would see that in fact, when Ezra gathered the people to teach them the
Torah "on the first of the seventh month", there is no mention of teru'ah,
either by blowing the shofar or in any other way. I certainly do not think
that the practice of mitzvot is open to personal interpretation - that's
what we have the Oral Torah and Hazal for. But on this list we are supposed
to be discussing the biblical text and its meaning - I brought the Samaritan
interpretation just to show that the word "teru'ah" can be understood in
different ways.

As far as Ezra, look at the way in which Ezra, in Nehemiah 8:15, INTERPRETS
Leviticus 23:40, "On the first day you shall take the fruit of majestic
trees, branches of palm trees, boughs of leafy trees, and willows of the
brook; and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days", as
"Go out to the hills and bring branches of olive, wild olive, myrtle, palm,
and other leafy trees to make booths", then adding "as it is written".
Hazal understood the "four species" as four specific trees or bushes, which
are to be "taken" - held up and waved, as we do today. But Ezra understands
them as referring to the materials from which the Sukkot ("booths") are to
be built.

Yigal Levin