[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Sep 25 01:36:38 EDT 2006

Dear Bryant,

When my students read the Masoretic text aloud, I  teach them to read  YHWH
as )DNY and )LHYM, depending on the Masoretic vowels. In translations of the
text I tell them to choose the form they like. The question is how old this
custom of substituting YHWH with other words is. My point was that the
traditional viewpoints that this happened long before the C.E. have several
weaknesses. Some groups ceased to use the name and others continued to use
it.

When you refer to the translation KURIOS in the LXX, please remember that
this is based on LXX manuscripts from the second century C.E. and later. The
fact is that all the oldest fragments of the LXX (or LXX-like texts) that we
have do not use KURIOS. Therefore, the evidence suggests that the original
LXX did not substitute YHWH with KURIOS.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo