[b-hebrew] the Feast of Trumpets

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Sep 25 01:12:20 EDT 2006

Actually, Shoshanna, a "teru'ah" is literally a shout, "leharia'", to shout
or exclaim. The two places in which the day is mentioned, Lev. 23:23-25 and
Num. 29:1-6 do not mention either the shofar or any other type of trumpet.
Just when this was understood by Jews as referring to the blowing of the
shofar is not clear - it's not mentioned in the Tanakh anywhere. In fact,
the day itself is not mentioned until Ezra, who used it to gather the people
and teach them Torah - no shofar there either. The fact that one of the
sounds made by the shofar is called a "teru'ah" is a back-interpretation.

By the way, the Samaritans to this day mark the day by clapping their hands,
which is how they have come to interpret "teru'ah". I'm not saying that this
is a more correct interpretation, just that there are more than one possible
interpretation.

Yigal Levin