[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 20:30:09 EDT 2006

Yigal:

I forgot about those (apocrypha), as I am not familiar with the LXX.

Looking at the history included in the New Testament, it was written
by people who were familiar with Tanakh in Hebrew: Peter employed a
translator (Mark), John wrote in a style that sounded more like
Aramaic with Greek words pasted on top, Paul knew Hebrew well enough
that he could speak it, Matthew originally wrote in "Hebrew" according
to ancient traditions, the only one who really wrote in high Greek was
Luke, and even he came from a synagog to Christianity. At least in the
formation of New Testament Christianity, it looks as if the LXX had
very little influence, if any. It had a lot more influence on later
theology, but not every Christian goes along with that.

Karl W. Randolph.