[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Sep 24 16:20:14 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph at gmail.com>
> I wonder if there are any substantive differences, besides the many minor
> ones.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

That depends on what you mean by "substantive differences", and which Hebrew
text you're referring to. If you are comparing the LXX as we now know it
(and ignoring the slight differences between the different textual
traditions within the LXX) and the MT as we know it, remember that the LXX
includes whole books that the MT does not - what we call the Apocrypha. Plus
the "apocryphal" chapters of Daniel, Esther and Psalms. So that "the Old
Testament" as known to the early Christians (and to eastern Christians to
this day) is much larger than the Jewish Tanakh.

Now was this the case during the first and second centuries CE, when
Christianity was taking form? What did the "Greek Bible" of the time
include? What did the "Hebrew Bible" of the time include? Unfortunately, we
have only partial information.

Yigal Levin