[b-hebrew] the Feast of Trumpets

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Sep 24 15:54:24 EDT 2006

Well, Eva,

In case your are not aware of this, in post-biblical Jewish tradition this
day has become Rosh Hashanah, the new year, the anniversary of the creation
of humanity on the sixth day or creation. Since Yom Kippur, the Day of
Atonement, is on the tenth of this month (Tishri), the entire period is one
in which God is thought to inspect our deeds, public and private, and decide
our fate for the coming year. These days are marked with special prayers of
repentance and forgiveness, and are a time of retrospection and "making
things right" - including asking forgiveness of one's fellow for any harm or
insult.
The two main themes of the liturgy of Rosh Hashanah is the enthroning of God
as ruler of the universe, and God's sitting in judgment. The "trumpet" of
Rosh Hashanah is the "shofar", or ram's horn, symbolizing a call to
repentance. It is also used to "remind" God of the near-sacrifice of Isaac
(remember the ram caught by its horns?), as a symbol of the devotion of
Isaac's descendants.
And, for the past 1,600 years or so, most Jews celebrate Rosh Hashanah over
two days, rather than the one proscribed in scripture.

Yigal Levin