[b-hebrew] Discernment of Daniel 9:24

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 14:53:16 EDT 2006

On 9/24/06, John B. Senterfitt <millenia05 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> KJV Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
>
> Of course the Septuagint is the connecting link and the Hebrew word translated "determined" comes through in the Revelators writing as "were-judged".
>
> I know the Hebrew word translated as "determined"
>
> נֶחְתַּךְ
>
> in its basic means to divide. Pictures of this kind of dividing is seen in
> the Hebrew people being carried away into other Nations in captivity.
> This is a picture of dividing or judgment. And in sum-total that is what
> the seventy weeks (490 years) are set aside for and that essentially is
> the last half of the 1000 years laid out in Revelation chapter 20.

John, Why do you think that this Hebrew word is connected to the
Revelation? It is obvious that the Greek term is used there, but why
do you think the Hebrew term XTK is used in Revelation 20? There is no
Hebrew in the Revelation. The rest of your message (about the Greek
term) is all right, but I cannot understand your connection of these
two terms.

The Hebrew translation that I have of the NT (from the Bible Society
in Israel) has this for Revelation 20:13:

הים נתן את המתים אשר בו, מות ושאול נתנו את מתיהם, ואיש איש נשפטו לפי מעשיהם
HYM NTN )T HMTYM )$R BW, MWT W$)WL NTNW )T MTYHM, W)Y$ )Y$ N$P+W LPY M(&YHM
"The sea gave the dead that [were] in it, Death and She'ol gave their
dead, and every man was judged (נשפטו) according to their works."

The word used for "be judged" in that verse, according to this
translation, is N$P+, the niphal form of $P+, which is the regular
word for "judge" in Hebrew. What are you using that suggests that XTK
is the better word for this verse?

Regards,
Yonah

--