[b-hebrew] Gesenius on Femininity

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 14:42:24 EDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny at mail.ru> wrote:
> Torah is from tur, to instruct, admonish. Suffix hey is not feminine, but
> the suffix of result, such as in cotev - ctivah. Thus Torah - instruction,
> admonition.
> You can see other examples at
> http://vadimcherny.org/hebrew/affix_hey_direction.htm
> Basically, there are several different suffixes hey, and they have nothing
> to do with feminine.
>
> Vadim Cherny

I've never heard of this before, and I do not think this is right.

Torah [TWRH] is a nominal form of the root YRH in the hiphil binyan.
Horah [HWRH] means "he cast, he shot [an arrow]; he pointed out; he
taught." It is related to the participial form Moreh [MWRH], meaning
both "teacher" and "archer."

There is a root TWR, which means "to travel around, to spy out, to
investigate." TWRH does not comes from this root, however. This is
confirmed by both BDB and Davidson's /Analytical Hebrew and Chaldeed
Lexicon/.

Be well,
Yonah

--