[b-hebrew] Discernment of Daniel 9:24

John B. Senterfitt millenia05 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 24 14:35:30 EDT 2006

> From: John B. Senterfitt Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:18 PM
>
> The Hebrew word in Daniel 9:24 translated "are determined" has only one
> striking Greek equivalent in the NT Greek and that is found in Revelation
> 20:12 and 13.

[Steve Miller] John, What is your basis for saying this? The word that the
LXX used to translate "are determined" is only used in the NT in Rom. 9:28,
where it is used figuratively to mean "cut short".

ἐκρίθησαν κρίνω viap3p

Steve I do hope this Greek rendering comes through in your Email system; and if so you will notice that it is Verb, Indicative, Aorist, Passive, 3rd person, Plural. In this grammatical form the only three places it occurs are as follows:

KJV Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

KJV Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

KJV Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Of course the Septuagint is the connecting link and the Hebrew word translated "determined" comes through in the Revelators writing as "were-judged".

I know the Hebrew word translated as "determined"

נֶחְתַּךְ

in its basic means to divide. Pictures of this kind of dividing is seen in the Hebrew people being carried away into other Nations in captivity. This is a picture of dividing or judgment. And in sum-total that is what the seventy weeks (490 years) are set aside for and that essentially is the last half of the 1000 years laid out in Revelation chapter 20.

John B. Senterfitt