[b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 22 19:36:40 EDT 2006


> From: K Randolph Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 2:49 PM
> Steve:
> 
> In verse 25 there is M$YX NGYD, in verse 26 M$YX without NGYD. These
> are two different individuals.
> 
> I already mentioned this in an earlier message.

[Steve Miller] Thanks Karl. So you are saying that M$YX NGYD in v25 is just
one person, and different from M$YX in v26. What then is the meaning of "and
62 weeks" in v25? "From the going forth of the word to restore and to build
Jerusalem unto Messiah, the Prince, are seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks."
If maschiach nageed came at 7 weeks only, why does it say "and 62 weeks"?

Also, I know that you had already mentioned what you repeated above, but I
was asking you something a bit different - was maschiach nageed in v25 one
person or 2 persons? But since you restated what you had said before, I
gather that your answer is "one person".

> 
> Concerning the question whether the time spans were contiguous or not,
> either all of them were, or none. All the time spans are given using
> the same linguistic and literary structures, so if one can have a gap,
> then it is possible that all of them have gaps. If all of them can
> have gaps, then the use of this prophecy to indicate the approximate
> year of Jesus' death and resurrection is meaningless. But if none of
> the spans have gaps, then the Dispensationalist understanding is
> wrong.
 
[Steve Miller] I agree with your logic. I disagree with one of your facts:
"All the time spans are given using the same linguistic and literary
structures". Dan 9:24 is unique. I fail to see its similarity compared to
other time spans in the Bible. "70 weeks are divided upon your people and
upon your holy city to ....". What other time span in the Bible is given in
a similar form to this? The Hebrew word for "divided" XTK is used only in
this one place in the Bible. Ernest Klein's Etymological Dictionary of the
Hebrew Language gives the meaning from Aramaic "cut" or from Arabic "tear
apart". LXX translated it with "suntemno" = cut in pieces.

> 
> Karl W. Randolph.
> 
> On 9/17/06, Steve Miller <smille10 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Karl,
> > In your interpretation aren't you really saying that the one term
> "mashiach
> > nagid" is two different people?
> > "From the going forth of the word to restore and to build Jerusalem unto
> > Messiah, the Prince, are seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks."
> > I understood you to say that this means one mashiach nagid comes 7 weeks
> > after the decree, and another mashiach nagid comes 62 weeks after the
> same
> > decree.
> > Is this a correct representation of your interpretation? If so, one of
> the
> > problems I have with it is that "mashiach nagid" is singular.
> > -Steve
> >
> > > From: K Randolph Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:10 AM
> > >
> > > Steve:
> > >
> > > "Anointed" in Tanakh was a title that was given to many people. David
> > > recognized that Saul was Anointed and therefore refused to kill him
> > > even though Saul was seeking to kill David. God even called Cyrus, who
> > > was never physically anointed, his Anointed (Isaiah 45). So in this
> > > prophecy by Daniel I see two different people who are anointed, one an
> > > anointed leader, possibly also in the same way as Cyrus, and someone
> > > who will be cut off simply called "Anointed".
> > >
> > > Seth gave a good answer to the time span question.
> > >
> > > Karl W. Randolph.





More information about the b-hebrew mailing list